Wednesday, February 4, 2009

In Stores Now

In the Fall, I spoke of a movie called Fireproof that I felt would save marriages, if given the chance.

The movie was wildly successful in a limited release and now can be purchased in stores for around $20. Here is a song from the soundtrack with clips from the movie (YouTube wouldn't let me embed, so sorry). This song will stick with you all day.

It is said in the movie that marriages aren't fireproof; prevention is necessary so that when the fire comes, the marriage can survive without being destroyed. Often we think of 'fire' as major trials or temptations, but may I suggest something? Sometimes the 'fire' that comes to test our marriages is complacency. We get so busy living life that our spouse becomes more like a roommate than the love of our life. Being intentional is overlooked.

In the movie, Caleb's dad gives him a book called The Love Dare. He challenges him with this 40-day 'dare' before ended his marriage. The idea behind the book is too many marriages end when someone says "I've fallen out of love with you" or "I don't love you anymore." The Love Dare discusses how these statements reveal a lack of understanding about the fundamental nature of true love. What I love is each chapter offers a devotional fashioned after an aspect of 1 Corinthians 13 and then ends with a related dare. And as you would guess, this is one of my 20 books under my bedside table. Some gals at my church are ahead of me and are enjoying the challenge. Day One stars for me today. I'll keep you posted.

And finally, one last things...'Slow Fade' is also featured in Fireproof. Thank you, Casting Crowns, for choosing to write lyrics about the hard stuff. People's lives will be changed.

0 comments: