Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A 40-Day Decision


These days find me a bit distracted. Why are so many things that aren't truly that important grabbing my attention?

Ash Wednesday is tomorrow and marks the beginning of Lent. Lent has always been tricky for me. I grew up Presbyterian but had several Catholic friends who observed Lent. I remember them describing the 40-day period of sacrifice and no meat on Fridays. I didn't really understand why I was being challenged to give up Coke for 40 days, but the rule-follower in me just went with it.

Did I just admit that outloud? Nice.

I now understand the purpose of Lent is to prepare our hearts, through fasting and prayer, to receive what Good Friday and the Resurrection truly are.... to shift our focus to Christ and His sacrifice.

How's that for summing up years of history?

But the question is this.....Why do we often choose something to fast from that either is a semi-sacrifice on our parts or maybe isn't really that important? And then what happens after the 40 days? Back to status quo? Here's an example....When you want to eat chocolate or drink that Diet Coke, you are to remember the sacrifice Christ made on the cross and don't eat the chocolate or drink the Diet Coke, thus you are making a sacrifice by not giving into your desire to consume your favorite thing. And thus, this will remind you to pray and change your focus.

Um...what?

When put that way, it just seems a bit silly, right? How can the enormous sacrifice of the Cross even be in the same category as things that can be bought 2 for $5?

As a rule, Baptists aren't known for observing Lent as some, but I believe choosing to fast and pray is a very important part of Lent. But I'd like to introduce another idea.. what about also adding something over the next 40 days to make a lasting change or investment? I don't want to go through the motions just to check something off my list. I'd rather choose something that will change me over the next 6 weeks.

So how does one figure out what to remove/alter and what to add? The process that makes the most sense to me is to determine what eats away the most of my time. Before I open up a big fat can of worms.....if you really sat down and thought through it....you know what drains your time. TV isn't my thing, but I spend a large chunk of time on the computer. I'm an information hog and the internet fills that need nicely for me. So, I will be intentionally reducing my time on the computer whether that be mindless researching, reading blogs or logging onto FaceBook. Which means that all 3 of you that read my blog will be seeing a bit less of me until April.

What do I want to add? Mercy, that is a laundry list waiting to be created. I've certainly got a long list of good intentions, but the one thing I am focusing on for the next 40 days is The Love Dare. I mentioned this earlier this month when I spoke of the movie, Fireproof. The idea behind the book is tremendous and can strengthen any marriage, if given the chance. My Day 1 should have been weeks ago, but I got distracted. Imagine that! It's broken into 40 days...perfect for Lent! I know, turn the page already! I'll stop plugging Fireproof. But have you seen it yet? Have you, have you?

If personal growth is your desire, try A Call To Die or The Passion Of Jesus Christ. Fasten your seat belts. David Nasser and John Piper don't mess around.

Maybe your desire is to do something active or read your Bible each day over the next 40 days. (Here are some reading guides to get you started) Or you might choose to go with the my-body-is-a-temple idea and change your eating habits by reducing sugar and increasing real food out of the ground or off a tree.

Only you know what changes/additions need to be made. My challenge to you is to really sit down, think through some options and seek God's leading on what He wants you to pursue. He might just catch you by surprise.

How will things be different for you by mid-April? Who knows...you might just want to extend that 40-day decision.

5 comments:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

Laurie, I am right there with you. In the past if I gave up anything for lent I would be excited about the added benefit if losing weight. Not a stellar spiritual motivation. This week I have been convicted about my (lack of) spiritual walk at the moment. I need to pray about this and see hoe God wants me to participate in lent. Giving up computer time and doing the love dare are great ideas.

Becky Kiser said...

I just started this a couple of weeks ago and it has been amazing. My hubs has no clue I'm doing it. I even shuffled up the days so he couldn't catch on. :) It has been amazing how it has grown me to be more aware to love and serve him. This has been the most incredible few weeks of our marriage. My love for him has increased and I can tell he appreciates all the extra effort I've been putting into it. :)

Anonymous said...

love this entry! I feel very encouraged and will begin my copy of The Love Dare (that I have been meaning to start since Christmas) tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I wish you luck on your 40 day journey but will miss reading you everyday! :(

Anonymous said...

The Love Dare is Awesome.
We did it a few of months ago.
~april