Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Facebook, in a few words


I love to read books. I love to flip through magazines. 4 months ago, you might find me doing these things at night between 9 and 10:30....until I took the plunge and set up a Facebook account.

What a big fat mistake.

Don't get me wrong....it has been too much fun finding some of my friends with whom I shared life over the past 25+ years (am I THAT old?). And since I am a lover of the photo Christmas card, I am so enjoying seeing the pictures of friends' families. But I have to say, a lot of other memories came crashing back again. I'm sure I was the ONLY one who had moments of insecurity while I added friends to my list. What's even more funny is time seems to be the great eraser AND equalizer. All is well in the world and we're all one big happy Facebook family. Social class lines are being crossed. It's like Can't By Me Love circa 2009.

The upside is Tray is thrilled I won't have to drag him to my 20 year reunion in 2 years. Why go? I have caught up with everyone on Facebook in just 4 short months. No diet or special outfit shopping required. Score!

My favorite observation, to date, regarding Facebook came from a friend in College Station. She said, "Being on Facebook is like reading the writing on the bathroom stall." If you have Facebook experience, you are nodding your head in agreement.

Do I recommend Facebook. Sure, why not? Just a word of caution...Set a limit, in advance, on how much time you're willing to waste on FB each day. And try NOT to add the Facebook application to your mobile device of choice.

I have NO idea why it is so addictive, but it just flat is. And then you'll be stuck with an 8" pile of magazines and unfolded laundry.

Consider yourself warned. Proceed with caution.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have two day old laundry on a bench, baby food smeared on the coffee table, Noble is begging me to watch Lost with him, I have a paper due by midnight and what am I doing...playing on facebook!It is very addicting. With my now friends and my camp friends I LOVE catching up and just being able to see whats going on. With my high school friends I feel anxious, love seeing them, but then I remember why I moved away and would die if I was back in Btown.I was thinking about participating in Lent this year and giving FB up for 40 days.
Just to make myself feel better I always say a quick prayer for the peeps who pop up on the friends list!

Laurie M said...

Girl, I can totally relate. Maybe I need to give up FB for lent as well. The question is..would it be harder or easier than giving up sugar?