Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Make It Your Own

A few weeks ago, menu planning to make life easier was the topic of a post. Although I shared 3 recipes to serve as a springboard, I neglected to include the most adaptable one of all.

Chicken Tortellini Aurora is a totally made-up (I get a little Sandra Lee in me every once in awhile) recipe that I cook at least twice a month. I wish I could claim the brilliance of this sauce, but it originated at a local restaurant and my friend, Nancy Matt, tried her hand at recreating it. The recipe below can be adapted to suit just about any preference you have, from meat, to brand of sauce or type of pasta you prefer.

Chicken Tortellini Aurora

3-4 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 24 oz. jar Classico Traditional Sweet Basil Spaghetti Sauce
1 15 oz. jar Classico Alfredo sauce
1 large package Buitoni 3 Cheese Tortellini (White flour got you scared? Sub in whole wheat pasta)

Cook tortellini according to directions. While pasta is cooking, combine spaghetti sauce and Alfredo sauce, heating throughout. Drain pasta and top with sauce and shredded chicken.

How 'bout that? Add a salad and veggie and that is an option for a night that needs a quick-fix dinner. Leftovers also freeze well.

How's the menu planning going so far? Have any tried-and-true recipes you care to share?

2 comments:

IE Mommy Blogger said...

oohh...yummy...I'll have to give it a shot. My favorite receipt is Taco Soup. My friend Suzie gave it to me...so easy.
1 lb cooked ground beef
1 can pinto or ranch beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 can stewed mexican tomatoes
1 pkg of taco mix
1 pkg of ranch dressing mix
1 cup of water

dump everything into the crock pot and let simmer...about 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low!
Perfect with cornbred or tortilla chips and cheese on top!!

YUMMY!

Laurie M said...

We love Tortilla Soup! Thanks for this variation.