Friday, March 6, 2009

A Cry For Help


I am many things, but a gardener, I am not.

I love flowers. I love how they brighten up a home or can cheer up any dreary day.

But, alas, I cannot keep them alive.

I went a bit crazy with a shovel today and dug out quite a bit of landscaping that was either out of control or dead. I'm not sure I'll walk completely upright again any time soon....my back is screamin'.

Part of me loves how simple and clean it looks.

But the reality is now I have BIG holes.

Can you help a girl out?

What flowers should I plant that can withstand H'town's climate?

I love me some snapdragons...are those good choices?

I need serious gardening help. Will you please, come out of blogstalking and offer advice?

Don't make me beg. If I get a letter from the HomeOwner's Association, it's all on you.

So there.

Pretty please?

4 comments:

IE Mommy Blogger said...

Hello,
Just wanted to give you some great news. You have been honored with an award for your site.
Swing by: http://iemommy.wordpress.com/2009/03/08/an-award-or-6-for-the-ie-mommy/ to check it out

Congratulations!
--
Hugs & God Bless You,
Christine
The IE Mommy
www.iemommy.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I wish I could offer you suggestions, but I kill everything and I don't even know what a snapdragon is. One summer I tried to plant moss roses (?) and my neighbors laughed at my efforts. So sad.
We are plant people.
ty

Anonymous said...

Hi friend! Knock out roses will be your best friend. They are hardy, disease resistant, bloom year round, and pretty much fool proof. Lantana is also a good choice for houston. It doesn't require a lot a water. The only maintenance is to cut it back completely at the end of winter, and it will come back beautifully! Petunias and vinca are great fillers for color in you beds as well. I could go on, but this should get you started. Let's do lunch and we can redo your whole yard!

Anonymous said...

Knock out Roses always are a huge hit especially in our climate. Right now you can find them anywhere and in any color. Snapdragons look great right now but right after Easter all your efforts will look like a dead twig. They can't handle the Houston heat. I love Ginger too! It is Green with no blooms but looks really cool. Also, the Foxtail Fern is great too. It is Bright Green and very modern/funky looking. Petunias are a great flower to plant and add the color you need! Hope you are doing well. Long time no talk or see! Blessings,
annie