Tuesday, April 28, 2009

20 Years of Wisdom



I just recently began reading Raising Unselfish Children in a Self-Absorbed World by Jill Rigby.

Mercy, I'm only 30 pages in and to quote the famous Voddie Baucham, "If you can't say Amen, you'd better say Ouch," Yes, sir. The ouch is her steppin' all OVER my toes and gettin' all UP in my bin'ness.

Chapter 2 is titled Enough is Never Enough which basically highlights how we, as Americans, want what we want when we want it.... Not because it needs replacing, but because we want it. This tied in nicely as I explained the concept of 'Wants and Needs' to my son's 2nd grade class as I taught Junior Achievement last Friday. You should have seen the blank stares...I'm not sure those kiddos really know what it is like to want for anything. Not blaming them, just stating a fact. Why did it take an economic recession for all of us to final accept that the concept that we can do without?

Let's just say this isn't going to be one of those quick-fix parenting books. Nope. This type of book requires that I reassess my goal of parenting and then move forward. Dern. Why limit it to a parenting book? It seems the first person who gets to change is me. I knew I should have stuck with reading brainless Chick Lit.

I'd love to let you in on what I'm learning from this little treasure, but unfortunately, you'll only learn from your own toes getting stepped on. I have a feeling it'll be worth it.

But I will leave you with her 'Twenty Years of Wisdom' list. Find your season and see if it doesn't ring true. I have to say it did for me.

Twenty Years of Wisdom

1st year- I won't die from sleep deprivation.

2nd year- Tomorrow will be a better day.

3rd year- I can run faster than my child.

4th year- When I say 'No', only once with conviction, I win every time.

5th year- God gave children to parents, not parents to children.

6th year- Mom and Dad, not the children, set the rules.

7th year- If I listen with my eyes, my children will listen to me.

8th year- I really do need help in the kitchen with every meal.

9th year- I'm not perfect, so I cannot possibly raise a perfect child.

10th year- My children will handle stress the way that I do.

11th year- My children mimic what I do, not what I say.

12th year- Boundaries keep pests out and children in.

13th year- I encourage the best, praise the accomplishment, and forgive the mistakes.

14th year- My children will gain wisdom from their failures.

15th year- I am a capable, intelligent human being, no matter what my children think.

16th year- Maybe it is time for a cell-phone.

17th year- I won't die from sleep deprivation during this stage either.

18th year- I cannot expect more of my almost-adult than I do of myself.

19th year- I have to listen more, preach less.

20th year- It's time to let go with confident hope (and lots of prayer).

Here's to continuing to learn and making changes a long the way.

0 comments: