Thursday, August 27, 2009

If I'd Known Then




While reading a magazine article the other day, I was led to check out If I'd Know Then by Ellyn Spragins from the library.

Apparently there are 2 different books in this series. The first is What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self and the second, If I'd Known Then: Women in their 2os and 30s Write Letters to Their Younger Selves. Both books profiles the letters of highly accomplished women that includes counsel or encouragement addressed to their younger selves.

The interesting thing is their letters reveal even accomplished women have struggles—the same fears, concerns and shortcomings as anyone else. And in many cases they are still struggling...not wanting to conform to what the world wants them to be and a reminder that living life should be a joy...like playing in the sandbox, not wading through quicksand.

What would your teenage or early 20s have looked like if you had found a letter tucked under the mattress from an older-you? Maybe a few hints about friendships to treasure and relationships to steer clear of...advice about what really mattered and what didn't merit a single thought or worry?

At the ripe old age of 36, I'm not sure my wisdom is very profound...would it have really eased the heartache or fears of a younger-me?

I can't be certain....but I think that I'd have jumped at the opportunity to know these things a bit earlier in my life:


*Wherever you are, Be ALL there....don't dwell in the past or yearn for the future

*Don't allow insecurities to rule your thoughts

*Judgment and assumptions are dangerous territory.... Seek truth in all things

*Want what you have...true contentment brings incredible peace

Do I have all these mastered?

Seriously? Um..not a chance.

But my desire to leads me to the One that can make all those things a reality. You see, there was a greater story written long before me. I think He can handle whatever I bring to Him. He's certainly BIG enough.


What about you? If you could write a letter to a younger-you..what would you include?

Come on all you lurkers...don't leave me flapping in the wind all by myself here. You can even comment anonymously.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would tell myself to sit down and THINK about my problems instead of relying on others to tell me what to do.

I would tell myself to closely look at my integrity and focus all energy until it was uncompromisable.

When faced with a situation of pain, hate, grief...(the list could go on) to throw love on it, for love truly conquerors all. (Joel Osteen gave me that one)

And once the serious matters were put to rest I would tell myself to laugh often, even if not very amused because the benefits of laughter are enormous!!

Anonymous said...

I would tell myself that all those nights of pizza and fast food will catch up with you when you turn 40! LOL

Great post, Laurie!

Nancy Mon said...

I would tell me to stop playing sports. It's not worth it for bad knees. Also, it really doesn't matter what fringe people in your life think. Why did I give them such access?

Anonymous said...

You are such a blessing Laurie! Love your blog...
note to younger self... pray more
Michele F

Blondie said...

Such profound thoughts you have early in the morning. Well I'm not that old but with already two kids I feel 25 going on 45 some days. I would probably tell myself:

That it is not a good idea to let other people make decisions for you; trust yourself.

If a guy cheats in the first month of your relationship, drunk or not, he will do it again.

Most of the things that you worry about now, will not matter later now and most will never even happen! Ha!

That if you worry too much, your body will start to break down as well as your mind.

You need to go to college and stay in college until you have a degree!

You cant make people like you so quit trying to impress everyone.

That you know nothing about kids and being married until you are actually in it.

No one can always be right and you must compromise if you want to stay married.