Saturday, July 18, 2009

Happy Birthday John Tyler!

Nine year ago, we went from a couple to a family of 3.

They sent us home with a vinyl diaper bag filled with cold packs, formula and coupons.

Um...how 'bout a manual...NOT coupons.

We were sure we'd ruin him.



And there are days when we are convinced we have. The days when we see glimpses of 'us' in him....and not always the good 'us'...

And then there are those days when that same blue-eyed boy will say, out of the blue, the words that can't possibly be true... "You're the best mom and dad, ever."


John Tyler Mounce, thank you for having the patience to allow your Mom and Dad to learn as we go, and the grace to move on after we've blown it. You show us daily that kids really have a lot to teach adults about unconditional love, grace and forgiveness. You make us want to be the parents you truly believe we are.


Happy 9th birthday! Just watch and see what the Lord has in store for you over the next years!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Tyler is so precious. The perfect mix of you and Tray!
Thanks for your email this week. I needed a reminder that no one is a perfect parent. Here is hoping JDF will turn out like me and not Noble! :)

sara mattingly said...

oh my gosh, I know that I am late commenting on this but, I want you to know that those pictures and sweet words just sent me into a crying fit. I love your boys. John Tyler is going to be such an amazing man of God. Thank you Laurie for letting me be so close in their life.